John Windley graduated from East Carolina University in 2001 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice. Commissioner Windley’s commitment to community service began with his time in the United States Peace Corps. John lived and served in Nicaragua from 2002 – 2005, helping rural farmers expand their crop variety and giving them access to improved farming technology. Upon completion of his service in Nicaragua John started his career with Walgreen’s in 2005 and is currently the Store Manager of the Walgreen’s Drug Store in Kill Devil Hills.
Commissioner Windley grew up in Bath, NC. He met his wife Yajara during his time in Nicaragua, and they moved to Kill Devil Hills in 2009. John and Yajara are the parents of young children Oscar, Aaliyah, and Joaquin. The Windleys are proud to call Kill Devil Hills home and feel privileged to raise their family is this wonderful town.
•Kill Devil Hills Commissioner 2017 – present
•Walgreen’s Store Manager 2005 – present
•Kill Devil Hills Planning Board member 2016 – 2017
•United States Peace Corps Volunteer, Nicaragua 2002 – 2005
•Bilingual, English and Spanish
•Rotarian- North Banks Rotary
•Active member of the Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce
Priorities for Kill Devil Hills:
1. People’s Advocate. Expanding communication between town government and our community that will help our Board of Commissioners make well-informed decisions on our town’s behalf.
2. Smart Growth - Managing economic growth that will keep our town and citizens the top priority. Local business owners and outside investors will be given equal levels of consideration and respect in order to make the best decisions for the future of Kill Devil Hills.
3. Environmental Stewardship - Protecting our beaches and environmental resources while maintaining our economic viability to ensure our children the same opportunity to enjoy the beach we enjoy today.
4. Affordable Housing - Expanding affordable housing opportunities to our working-class community by investigating methods used locally and in other coastal communities. Focus on creating incentives to make affordable housing available and investigate ways make affordable housing a realistic business opportunity in Dare County.
5. Support Law Enforcement and First Responders - Working to ensure that law enforcement, the fire department, and all first responders have the resources and support needed to keep our community safe.