Why are you digging in my yard without my permission?

The Kill Devil Hills Public Services Department conducts construction activities within town right-of-ways and subdivision easement areas. These public utility areas are set aside for such things as roads and streets; drainage infrastructure; water and sewer lines; telephone, cable TV and electrical power services. Easements typically vary in widths from 5 to 20 feet for property easements and 30 to more than 80 feet for town right-of-ways. We have found in the past that in some cases, homeowners mistakenly believe that their property line runs to the edge of the street pavement but as stated above, this is not the case. Your property survey will show you where your property lines are and as to whether you have any easements associated with your property.

Show All Answers

1. Who do I call to have my water lines flagged?
2. Do water lines have to be flagged, along with other utility services, before I dig?
3. Why are you digging in my yard without my permission?
4. Did you really read my water meter, or did you estimate?
5. Can I pay my bill over the phone?