My residential cart is broken. What can I do?
If the cart is still within the 10-year warranty period, the Town may be able to fix your cart. If the cart is out of warranty but is an Ameri-Kart (square lid), you may be able to purchase some replacement parts from the Town. If it is an older style (oval lid) cart, the Town is no longer able to provide replacement parts for these carts. Depending on the nature of the damage you may need to purchase a new replacement cart.

If your cart is damaged, please contact the Public Services office, at 252-480-4080, and request that a Residential Roll Out Cart Inspection be completed on your cart. Once this inspection is complete, a Town employee will be able to provide you with additional information about the best way to fix or replace your cart.

Show All Answers

1. I have some bulky waste to put out, when can you send someone to get it?
2. How can I safely dispose of unused paint or paint products?
3. My residential roll out cart is missing. What can I do?
4. My residential cart is broken. What can I do?
5. Where do I get a permit for the dump?